Share your favorite farm or garden poem! Send your old-time favorite, or an original poem to us at email@example.com.
We will feature them on our website, share them through our FaceBook page, or have copies posted around the Market — look for the bright green poetry papers as you shop!
Here are a few samples of Haiku poetry from last year. The Japenese form of these poems follow strict rules — the format consists of three sentences, each containing five, seven, and five syllables.
Pop open pea pods
Set free some plump round voyeurs –
Peeping toms in green.
“Best I ever had”
Said the man to his new bride,
Tasting her cooking.
Food for the body
So tempting to the spirit.
The table is set.
A child’s game,
I press the balloon against my tongue.
Pop! The tomato bursts.
Thank you, God, I farm.
Music at this event is by Paul Hubert, who performs on guitar, harmonica, banjo and vocals. Paul highlights exciting original tunes and unique covers, distilling a wide range of American musical forms from folk and blues to old-timey and pop into a truly personal, one-of-a-kind style. This guy is a whole buncha fun to listen to – stop on by! Better yet, pull up a seat at one of our picnic tables, and have a good nosh while you enjoy the music.
This is the absolute height of the Market season! Why not bring a friend, or two, and bring home enough tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, onions, and garlic to make a magnificent pot of sauce? You can all share in the chopping, cooking and cleanup, toast yourselves with a good glass of wine (which you can also get at the market), put on the pasta pot, slice the bread and cheese (find them at the market? Check and check!) and have yourself a FEAST! Pack up the leftovers, everyone takes some home, and you have reaped the benefits of not only gooood food, but goooood company. WIN and WIN!!
Join us this Wed., Aug. 19th, to celebrate ZUcchinis and toMATOes
This is the season when all the gardens are bursting with our favorite varieties of red and green fruit! Well…and yellow, and brown, and pink, and zebra striped, and orange, and all sorts of crazy heirloom tomato colors.
Contests for the BIGGEST and the BEST DRESSED ZUCCHINI. You can bring your zuke already in costume, or bring it … shhhhhhh … naked … and dress it here using materials we supply. Look below for a few pics from previous ZU-MATO contests.
Do you have a favorite zucchini bread, cake, or fritter recipe? Or perhaps a tomato pie, relish, salsa, or even tomato JAM? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to print it out to share with others! Stop by the Market Info Tent for free recipes to take home with you.
Zucchini-inspired music will be performed by Andy Miller. (Only kidding…I don’t think that Andy plays a single song about zucchini. But he just miiiight….if you ask him nicely!)
Make the Farmers Market part of your summer plan for good eating and good fun!
”SUPER Market” Event, Wed., Aug. 5, 4-6:30pm, Canterbury Center
Come to Canterbury’s “SUPER Market” and help kick-off NH Eat Local Month! In addition to the great familiar vendors that you expect to find each week, there will be a number of special guest vendors who will bring a SUPER dose of good food and good fun to the Market. Plan to bring an extra reusable bag or two this day, because there will be LOTS of local goodness to fill them with. In fact, you might want to bring an extra friend or two as well!
- This week our market will also feature the home-made music of Canterbury’s own “Mark Hopkins and Friends.” After practicing for 40 years they ought to be pretty darn good (and they are)! Guaranteed all home-made music, not store bought. Guitar, dobro, fiddle, banjo, and voice.
- Remember that SNAP/EBT/Debit and Credit Cards are now accepted at the Market! SNAP recipients ask at the Info Tent about matching funds.
- Want to get a little silly? Stop in at the Market Info tent and ask for your temporary “I (heart) FARMERS MARKETS” temporary tattoo!
Our Great Weekly Vendors:
- The Bread Peddler (Sanbornton, NH) — Artisan rye,, pumpernickel, and whole wheat breads, fresh NY style “bialys”, great gluten-free bread
- Brookford Farm (Canterbury, NH) — Organic milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs, flour, produce, meat (pork, beef, chicken)
- Fen Ridge Farm (Loudon, NH) — Layered kitchen mixes, jam and jellies, fruit pies, flower bouquets
- Grateful Garlic — Fresh Garlic, Garlic, and More Garlic
- Hackleboro Orchards (Canterbury, NH) — Seasonal Berries, Apples, and Orchard fruits, Vegetables, honey, and the ever popular cider donuts
- Kandy Kettle Kitchen (Chichester, NH) — Homemade fudge, lollipops, candies, and freshly squeezed lemonade sweetened with NH Maple syrup
- Margaret Hoyle (Bristol, NH) — Freshly made wool socks hand-cranked on an antique sock machine
- Meadow’s Pond Homemade Soaps (Canterbury, NH) — Homemade bar soaps, lip balm, lotions, dog shampoo. This week look for Janet’s soaps at the “Fen Ridge” table since Janet will be at the Craftsman’s Fair in Sunapee.
- North Family Farm (Canterbury, NH) — Organic maple syrup, candy, and sugar. Honey. Fresh flowers.
- Our Place Farm (Loudon, NH)— Pork, beef, and chicken products, broth, goat milk, lard, hand spun yarn, braided rugs.
- Rock Salt Creamery (Sanbornton, NH) — Vegan ice cream bars. Whole fruit bars using local fruits and berries in season, vegan desserts.
- Thistle’s All Natural (Loudon, NH) — All natural zucchini salsa.
- Toast and Jam (Loudon, NH) — Hazelnut/chocolate twist bread, sweet rolls, fruit pies, jams and spreads.
- Warner River Organics (Webster, NH) — Produce, fruit, plants, salsas, vinaigrettes, pesto.
- Note: Old Ways Traditions and Old Ways Pizza will not be at the SUPER Market this week. Dave will be at the Sunapee Crafts Fair instead!
Additional Vendors for the Aug. 5th “SUPER Market”
- N H Mushroom Company (Tamworth, NH) — Premium Organic Cultivated Specialty Mushrooms
- Red Manse Farm (Loudon, NH) — Certified Organic Produce, Fruits, Greens
- Red Fox Farm (Gilmanton, NH) — Sweet or Spicy Pickles, Relish, Chutney, Jam, and Jelly
- Comte Family Farm (Nottingham, NH) — Beautiful and Tasty Dried Beans
- Canterbury Breadshop (Canterbury, NH) — Artisan Bread baked in a Wood Fired Oven
- Song Away Rabbitry (Loudon, NH) — Frozen rabbit meat, Californian, New Zealand and heritage rabbits for show stock.
- Coffin Cellars (Webster, NH) — Fine, fine, fruit and Berry Wines
- Gunthers Goodies (Manchester, NH) — Gourmet Dog Treats made from spent beer grains.